Saturday, 24 January 2009

All the email/blog commands are in Chinese!




Blimey! It's all happening here. The bus trip from the airport onto Hong Kong Island was awesome-they've done a lot of building here, with stunning clusters of skyscrapers & linked supension bridges, so everything is shiny-new & looks like no-one's home.

When you get onto the island though it's much more like the James Bond films. In the harbour there are hundreds of tiny old junks held together with string & tarpaulins, next to massive freight ships from all over the world & derricks as far as the eye can see. I wanted to ask the driver if he fancied a quick fist fight on the docks, but he was quite a lot smaller than me, so it didn't seem fair. I saw a heron & an egret fishing off one of the piers, but sadly no penguins yet.

I've had a good recce of the Victoria Park area & came across a big street market, which was loud, exotic & very smelly! There were lots of stalls selling animal parts that I had no wish to look at too closely, an awful lot of unidentified sea-faring livestock & some truly enormous & vaguely intimidating  fruit. A lot of the stall holders were shouting about their wares (I assume!) & everyone was pushing & shoving & getting quite hands-on about everything. Strangely, most of the stall holders wear sporting blue-tooth head sets. It's all very refreshing after shopping in John Lewis for so long.

Appropriate Clothing Index: Long sleeve t-shirt & jacket, light to no vest.
Altitude:    17th Floor, no glass sided elevator.
Outlook:    Optimistic & excited, but with some tiredness from the West.



2 comments: